Miia Kettunen has versatile experience working with different projects and communities in the field of art as a costume designer and visual artist. Distinguishing feature of her way of working is the distinct and open-minded working plans, which engage different local operational environments and invite their communities to participate in artistic processes.The visual outcome of her work builds up often as a result of the interaction between people and different operators and with sensing the environment, spaces and different places. Landshapes is an environmental art project created by artist Miia Kettunen. An overall visual angle of the project is to view the environment and earth from the aerial perspective to emphasize the fact that the local piece of land represents one part of the pristine ecosystem that spreads around the globe. Aerial earth study together with the study on how the land is experienced results in concrete land artwork which will take shape on the soil of Ii this summer. In the project Kettunen continues her passion to study the abstract imagery as a sign of an experience, now in the context of land art. Kettunen will work on the project in collaboration with the students of the Valtari School as part of her KulttuuriKauppila Artist-in-Community residency period. The final artwork consists of ten different geoglyphic symbols which reflect the students relationship and experience with land.
Landshapes at Art Ii Biennial 2020
The worksite is open to the public the entire biennial week 10 June – 14 June. Artist Miia Kettunen present at the site on Wednesday 10 June 4-6PM and on Friday 12 June 2-4PM. Artwork open to public until the first snowfall! Exact location of the work on the map
DRIVING INSTRUCTIONS (TOWARDS NORTH):
- While in Ii, heading north on the E75/E8 road, take the third exit as soon as you reach the second roundabout.
- Take the first right to Haminantie, following the “Iin sillat” sign.
- Follow the road for 200m.
- Take the second left to Peltokuja.
- Follow Peltokuja for 100m and then turn right to a dirt road leading to the central park.
- Follow the road for 100m. Landshapes artwork will be located to your right.
- You can exit the park by continuing ahead on the dirt road and turning left or right to Yläkatu at the next crossroads.